Ranked as the best city in live in America by Money Magazine, McKinney is on its way to become a popular tourist attraction in the country. With a plethora of tourist spots including museums, art galleries, shopping malls, historic sites and charming neighborhoods, the city offers a lot to its visitors. Did you know that McKinney was also the fastest growing city between the period of 2000 and 2003 and in 2006? Know more interesting facts about McKinney here:
McKinney Demographic and Geographical Fast Facts
- Located in Collin County, the city of McKinney is also a part of the Dallas-Fort Worth Metroplex.
- With a population of 131,117 (US Census 2010), McKinney is the second more populous city in the county, after Plano, and 19th most populous in the state of Texas.
McKinney History Fast Facts
- Ten years after William Davis donated 120 acres of land to the government, the city was formed.
- The city accepted the commission form of government in the year 1913.
- Both McKinney and Collin County are named after the famed Collin McKinney, who was the congressman for the Red River District of Republic of Texas and signer of Texas Declaration of Independence.
McKinney Government and Economy Fast Facts
- Between the years of 2000 and 2003 and in 2006, McKinney was listed as the fastest growing city in the nation, among cities with a population of more than 50,000.
- In the year 2007, the city was listed as the second fasted growing city in the country with a population of more than 100,000 and, in 2008 it was listed as the third fastest growing city.
- The city of McKinney is home to one daily newspaper - McKinney Courier-Gazette.